counter hit xanga

Just a clueless starfish in the ocean of life, filtering the environment for morsels of food.

Saturday, June 24, 2006

Familiar Faces

Recently I've been experiencing a strange phenomena - I keep seeing old friends around my workplace, or when I'm out shopping. On closer look, I realise that they are strangers with semblance features of my respective friends. This event has spanned over 3 days, and this is the first time that I am encountering it.

The only explanations I can think of are: 1. I'm missing my friends 2. I'm going through a middle age crisis. Wow. I actually qualify for the latter now.

The first possibility is credible. I have a social biological alarm of sorts. A certain time lapses from the last time I met a friend, and my internal alarm kicks in. Out of the blue, for no particular reason, thoughts of that friend will pop into my head and I suddenly have an overwhelming desire to meet up with him/her. I think sociologists have a name for this - they call it missing someone. Well, ever since I started work in my new job this year, this internal social alarm has somehow been so muted that I think its spoilt. As such, I no longer get certain urges to call up a particular friend, or catch up with an acquaintance. Any social contact I've had has been initiated by friends. Perhaps as a result, failing to get my attention, my internal alarm has metamorphosized into this symptom where I'm seeing the faces of friends I haven't made contact with. Does this mean that the cure for this phenomena is taking the necessary action steps to connect with my social circle again? I would say this is one of those times where I know I'm weird and make no claims at understanding myself as much as my friends do.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Google
 
Web feather-starfish.blogspot.com