counter hit xanga

Just a clueless starfish in the ocean of life, filtering the environment for morsels of food.

Thursday, June 29, 2006

Workout Posers

I'm sure you've met them. Those who always seem to fit perfectly in a particular situation and circumstance, blending in perfectly with the environment. It's as if they have rehearsed their routine 100 times. And when you observe their knowledge and confidence in that setting, it becomes obvious that they're not in their natural habitat.

Exactly which specific "habitat" am I referring to? My gym. I have been working out since I was 18. There were a number of years where I had to stop due to (ironically) health issues, but started becoming active again some 6 years ago. So it was a typical day for me yesterday where I was trying out the newest branch of California Fitness.

So there are different "cultures" that come with each branch. For example, the workout patrons at the Raffles Place branch (located at the centre of the business district) where my office is, typically consists of people who are there to work off their stress. The ratio of caucasians are slightly higher, and most would walk past you with an occupied look, often not watching where they're going.

The new branch I'm trying out is at Bugis - an old part of town that used to be occupied by small time hawkers. The shopping mall was relatively new, and the gym was completely new. So I was working out there and realised there were a lot of hot girls. They were wearing those tight, nylon gym wear pieces that insist you must have 0% body fat in order to carry them off. Another (more puzzling) observation was also that they had full make up on, and many wore contact lenses.

These ladies are workout posers. While the rest of us set our weights to a load that will have us red in the face by the 8th repetition, they are still gently and composedly lifting weights so light that they're still not breaking sweat on the 35th repetition. So what are they doing here? Just observe the number of dropped jaws and drool leaking off the gapes of guys within a 6 feet radius as these ladies breathe in and out while doing their repetitions. I'm sure it'll be pretty easy for you to catch on to how these ladies get their kicks...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Google
 
Web feather-starfish.blogspot.com