counter hit xanga

Just a clueless starfish in the ocean of life, filtering the environment for morsels of food.

Monday, July 17, 2006

Key to Happiness

Things at work are getting crazy. Blogging is my way of converting negative stress to positive sharing. But when things get so bad that I can't find happy things to talk about, I'd rather be silent. It was with this frame of mind that I wondered if I could find happy things to blog about. Actually, it was a pretty horrible day.

So I decided to read the papers. I was informed that there was an Amazing Race publicity piece in the Singapore papers today, with coverage for our company. Instead, I come across this interesting piece of article that actually addressed my frame of mind. Entitled, "Positive motivation key to happiness", it talks about how Singapore as a nation had so many blessings. In reversal, our the article also reveals that Singapore citizens rank among the unhappy people of the world.

Apparently, instead of being grateful, the good life serves instead to instigate the need for more. This is consistent with findings that nations that are the richest and wealthiest have the most unhappy people. Go figure.

But it did make me feel better about my situation. Reminding me of my blessing as a citizen of singapore, I am also reminded that though work has been horrible, it is also a far better place to be than my previous company. And for bigger and better things, there must always be sacrifices. While my job is extremely demanding and at times takes from me more than what I'm willing to give, I am consoled that my company does recognise and take care of good people who have the best interests of the company at heart. Of course I'm aware of the politics around me, but I don't focus on them as they are too distracting. While I am sensitive of them and careful of the steps I take, I choose not to mind them too much for they detract me from my true key deliverables and derails me from the healthy attitude of competing against myself to the preoccupation of the games people play.

And THAT is the key to happiness. Not craving for more, not comparing yourself with others, not engaging in games that you lose your true worth. But realistically listing down the blessings you have in your life to be grateful for (and they can be simple things!), choosing to focus on personal growth in the job, and staying focused on what's really important in life.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Google
 
Web feather-starfish.blogspot.com