counter hit xanga

Just a clueless starfish in the ocean of life, filtering the environment for morsels of food.

Thursday, July 06, 2006

Lake District

When life was not so busy, I used to take trips to Europe. My initial plan was to backpack Europe, then move on to North America, Egypt, Southern Africa, and maybe the Middle East. I truly think that I have the wanderlust spirit. I'm truly happy when I'm out in some far flung corner of the earth, where civilisation is hidden out of sight, and the true glory of the beauty of the earth is laid out before me. I won't say that I've been to particularly exotic places in my backpacking trips, but I have taken some out of the way routes and have been richly rewarded with mental photographs that keep me going back for more.

Well, my initial plan seems to be flagging, as I have fallen in love with Europe. Its not just the historic buildings and museums, quaint and glorious countrysides, or even the millions of stories that surround the places I've been to. Its that whisper of past glory, chivalry and and secret love affairs that continue to be heard even in the modern and busy streets that have changed so much through time. HISTORY. It gives one that solid grounded feeling, a place where you feel your roots can grow deep and strong.

One of the places that I've been to that has a special place in my heart is Lake District. I was thrilled when I read that William Wordsworth, my favourite poet was born and lived there. Wordsworth was a true source of inspiration and imagination to me during my school years. He held me captive in his poetry in which he weaved out the passions and passages of his life. Where other poets write about the world around them, and their experiences, Wordsworth excelled in capturing magic "moments" where one found the richness of being fully alive.

Its been a number of years since I've made a trip back to Europe. Maybe its time to revisit Ambleside and take the route to Cumbria. This time, I'll be sure to bring my copy of Wordsworth's published works and possibly visit the places that he has lived and ambled past which have inspired him. If I'm lucky, I might even find my own inspiration there.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Google
 
Web feather-starfish.blogspot.com