counter hit xanga

Just a clueless starfish in the ocean of life, filtering the environment for morsels of food.

Saturday, July 22, 2006

Martinis

I've never drank a martini and enjoyed it before. Until this year. Apparently fruit and martini go together very well. When I decided to try my first martini, I tried what was "in". After all, if it were that popular, it had to be good, right? Same concept when you're someplace new and not sure what is good. Look for the longest queue and you're almost certainly guaranteed a yummy meal.

Except that sometimes the queue is due to really cheap prices rather than good food. And sometimes, you realise its a line for free goodies (not food!). Well, though you don't end up reaching your original objective, you still get a good deal right? But I digress.

So my first martini was of course the cosmopolitan (gad, Carrie Bradshaw has such an influence on me!). Hated it. Hated and hated it again. Not to mention that it made me very sick. I'm very sensitive to smell, so something foul smelling could make me retch even without putting it in my mouth. Not that I would if it smelt that bad!

Well, deciding that drinks were something Carrie had no taste in, I swore off martinis. Until the night when we bid goodbye to our sales director. My (very in and vogue) colleagues persuaded me to try lychee martini, and it was fabulous. Sweet, tangy and with a twist of cherry liquor to give it a little body.

Today, after a week of never ending meetings and people demanding (and I mean ordering me!) my attention and others who needed help, I was ready for a Friday evening happy hour. So we grabbed our Australian colleague who was flying back in the late evening, and went downtown.

I was then introduced to (green) apple martini, and it tasted even BETTER than lychee martinee. The conversation then went onto different martini concoctions, which led to lavendar martini... I wonder how that tastes like. Though I'm doubtful of it being a drink - the combination doesn't sound very compatible - but it's recommended by the same person who introduced me to apple martini.

The downside of it was that lavendar martini is not available in singapore. I would have to fly down to the states to get a taste of it. sigh. My trip to Kentucky that was cancelled would have been a perfect opportunity to try that out...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Google
 
Web feather-starfish.blogspot.com