counter hit xanga

Just a clueless starfish in the ocean of life, filtering the environment for morsels of food.

Saturday, July 29, 2006

Resistance Barrier

So here I am at 7:47 (isn't that the model of the airplane that
crashed?) pm in front of my monitor at my work cubicle. I am still here
because I have work to do, but have stopped working as of 6.45 as I
seem to have hit a wall of Work Resistance.

After a week of
full day meetings followed by early morning phone calls from my boss at
9 am yesterday morning and 7 am today (which I missed!) to feed
information gathere from key countries onto paper for our head office
marked URGENT, IMPORTANT and NOW (with 1 to 2 days turnaround time!), I
have hit a blank wall.

I wonder how my boss does it. I have
only lived part of what she goes through daily at work for the past 2
weeks, and am getting betrayed by my own body now. My boss not only has
full day meetings, but is FLYING to different places for more full day
meetings where she is constantly challenged and questioned on her
business plans for Asia. Not to mention that she has been quite ill the
past 2 days but have been coming into work for 2 days of business
planning with different department heads.

Well, its been a day
of back to back meetings with IMs, text messages and phone calls
peppered into my meetings. I am thanking God more and more that I have
the ability to multitask and somehow can work at doing a few things at
the same time. Call it a result of schizophrenia, split personality,
attention deficit disorder, etc, but I have the ability to divide my
attention to a few things at a single time. This ability has literally
saved my life in these past 2 weeks. What was it about God growing
gifts in you as you go through hardship so that you come out a better
person?

So there I was today, on a phone meeting, working on a
mindmanager file with a colleague for an internal e-communications
plan, eating lunch and responding to text messages from my friend about
my home renovations. Then after, checking files from a colleague,
responding to his IM questions, working on a quote for a Press Release
and archiving my mailbox which had reached its limitations, all at the
same time. I don't think I'm human...

So after a day of
meetings, communications, phone calls, coordination, arrangements and
teamwork, I find myself hitting an emotional blank wall at 6.45. I
couldn't work, couldn't breathe. So I decided to take a little walk,
buy dinner then return to the office to start on the true meat of my
job.

While on the way to dinner, a felt a tinge of chest pain.
That's my body's way of saying, "That's it girl, you've hit your stress
limit for the day. Relax or I'm gonna hurt more." So now I'm back at my
desk, done with dinner, and can't get myself cranked up to start work
again. Now with occasional physical pangs of pain attacking my chest as
a sign of protest from my body. Sigh. I was feeling so invincible just
last sunday...

I finally get it that I'm not going to get any
more work done tonight. My body won't let me. My emotional blank wall
isn't going away. Listening to Corrine Mae helps me feel better and
overcome enough resistance to get some blogging done. Not that it feels
like work to me ;)

So, good night all ye blog people. I'm going home to rest.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Google
 
Web feather-starfish.blogspot.com