counter hit xanga

Just a clueless starfish in the ocean of life, filtering the environment for morsels of food.

Monday, July 24, 2006

What's All That Fuss?

So during Happy Hour my colleagues asked me why I didn't date. Well, I gave them quite a number of solid reasons. The primary reason, however, I believe is what my friends describe me as - Fussy.

The same Fussy principle applies to my house. Doing a renovation with Bohemian design, my dream living room consisted of a corner of broken tiles and mirror pieces assembled into a mirage on 2 sides of my walls. I fascinated myself with imaginations of how beautiful my home would look. I was jolted to reality when I looked at the finished product. Apparently, mirrors were a difficult material to break, and many of the pieces had line cracks and jagged edges. A prompt call to my renovator who called his contracter, and I met them over the weekend. While waiting for the contractor, I painstakingly went through each and every piece of the mirror pieces, making marks on which I insisted HAD to be changed (though they were already cemented to the wall) and those whose edges could be masked with grout.

The surprise for me though was that that weekend, I received quite a number of visitors to my half finished flat. My estate agent had brought 2 clients to view a flat some floors above mine, and came down to check how my renovation was coming along. Apparently his clients loved my house. And when I first reached my flat to meet my renovator, I had another agent with 2 guests who simply dropped by to view my flat. Among them was a lady who was running her hands over the broken pieces of sky, misty and dark blue tiles pieced together on my wall with pieces of mirror where you see a few versions of yourself peeking back at you from a collage of blue. She was fascinated and couldn't take her eyes off the wall. I cringed. What an embarrassment to have her see the cracks. Apparently, I was the only one who paid attention to that. People normally tend to see only the big picture when they view it for the first time. It was different for me as I scrutinised every inch for any flaws that deviated from the image of beauty I had in my mind.

I must say that I am very curious now. The 4 visitors I had were people who were viewing the flat above mine. However, the flat was on the 24th floor. How did they manage to wander onto the 15th floor, see that my flat was under renovation and decided to come in for a viewing? I don't know, but it was to my benefit. When my renovator saw that my flat was attracting quite some interest, he became more open to my insistence that the flawed mirror pieces be changed. Originally thinking that I was of no advertising value to him (I mean, I was the ONLY person who had ever asked for a bohemian flat and he thought would be the last), he suddenly realised that I was pulling clients for him.

My agent had 2 clients who got him to do their kitchen on that same day, and the other visitors asked for his number to renovate their future flat purchase. In one day, he had gained 2 customers and 1 potential lead. If they only knew the idea came from me...*grin*. After that, he was very helpful and a lot more obliging to changing the mirrors on my wall. Now everyone's happy.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Google
 
Web feather-starfish.blogspot.com