counter hit xanga

Just a clueless starfish in the ocean of life, filtering the environment for morsels of food.

Sunday, August 13, 2006

The Bed Supper Club

The first day I arrived in Bangkok for my business trip, I made a trip down to a tailor's at Asok station. It was recommended to me years ago by a good friend of mine, and my first set of office clothes from "Ambassadors & Smart Fashion" have kept me looking professional while being a comfortable wear for a number of years. So I took this opportunity to make a 2nd set.

After measurements, I made my way back to the hotel to find a voice message from my US colleague, with an invitation to the Bed Supper Club. It is not a new place, having been around for a number of years and gaining international fame in the process. The last time I meant to visit it with some friends, I was already tipsy from a Mai Tai, and my other 2 friends were shy of paying the high cover charge. We were also in Bermudas and casual wear, and upon reaching the entrance of Bed Supper Club, realised that it is very much a dress up club.

Thankfully, our hotel was only less than a minute away from the club, so we simply strolled back to the hotel while I sobered up and the other 2 talked about the place where I had the Mai Tai with this gorgeous Filipino singer whose voice made the evening feel like we've been to the world's first class lounge.

Well, on this trip, our Australian colleague had reserved 2 tables for us and invited some friends. Also, my US colleague managed to get me on the phone just as I was coming out of the shower. I couldn't turn down her personal invitation, so I said Yes. Besides, though I was no longer as curious about the Bed Supper club, it was in my list of "To-dos" in my travel, even if its the last few priorities. Also, it gave me the perfect opportunity to show off the first Singapore shawl that I bought. Not the one with the snake - a much more traditional and striking shawl that made me look really classy & slim.

It was an interesting night, and a very international one at that. I was among australian, vietnamese and hong kong friends who had stayed in the states for a number of years. And the scene at the Bed club could easily be any club down in NY - there were so many nationalities there that it could very well have been the congregation of the last people left on earth, all squeezed onto a tiny dance floor and beds around the walls.

We were told it was Salsa night, and I was looking forward to a night of some dancing action, but was sorely disappointed by the crowd. The people at the club were definitely not there for Salsa. It was more of a high class "pick up" joint (is there any other types?). There were so many posers that I felt I was at some fashion parade or actors' guild. Everybody there was primped and pumped up, dressed up to the nines, and sat and stood at uncomfortable poses to exude the "cool" and "hip" looks. Both my US colleague and myself got fed up at waiting for the action to start at the main club and popped next door to the "disco" section of the club for some solid drum dancing.

After some shuttling between the 2 dance floors, we were ready to make it back to our hotel at past one in the morning. And I had to be up at the lobby by 7.45 am the next day for pickup by our company driver... It was a nice start to the trip though - bonding with my colleagues in an informal setting, getting to know each other before we started working together. It cuts through all the stiff formalities and courtesies as we would have gotten to know which other under a neutral setting.

I don't think I'll be making my way back to Bed again unless I'm there with my own group of friends I can have fun with, though I must say the food was pretty fantastic. The bill was equally stupefying. But its still a good tourist spot to visit if it's your first trip to Bangkok, you're looking to have some fun, or even a learning experience. I may bump into you there. Do remember to bring a formal party dress though unless you don't mind looking (& feeling) out of place.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Google
 
Web feather-starfish.blogspot.com