counter hit xanga

Just a clueless starfish in the ocean of life, filtering the environment for morsels of food.

Sunday, August 06, 2006

Shals, Tallits and Kashmir

I was also inspired by Singapore Shawls. So inspired that I actually bought my 2nd piece. If I keep up this habit of buying 1 shawl every weekend, I would not be able to pay my contractor when the renovation for my flat is completed...

Beyond retail therapy, I did a little googling in Wikipedia and discovered some interesting facts about Shawls:
1. The first shawls, called "Shals" were actually made for men. They formed part of the traditional costume in Kashmir. If they were embroidered, they were called "ameli". I have no clue why a piece of clothing designed for men would have a woman's name.

2. Tallit, or prayer shawls, were also worn by men - Jewish men during prayers & ceremonies.

3. Kashmir, or Indian shawls - with which we are more familiar with.

Read the Wikipedia article on shawls.

Inspired? Want to get a special shawl gift for your sister, girlfriend or wife? Or would you just want it for yourself? Visit Singapore Shawl on the second level of Tangs Shopping Centre, Singapore. Designs are limited so grab your favourite piece now before they run out!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Google
 
Web feather-starfish.blogspot.com