counter hit xanga

Just a clueless starfish in the ocean of life, filtering the environment for morsels of food.

Wednesday, September 20, 2006

iPod Hard Disk Feature

Of all the consumer brands I am loyal to, none has delivered as much "customer service" as Apple. My trusty mac powerbook has not only provided me precious hours at hot spots and cafes. It has "saved my life" when I have forgotten assignments and tasks with a couple of hours to spare. Being light enough for me to carry almost everywhere with me, it was present with me during those times. I had been able to whisk out worship sheets, complete urgent articles and even performed HTML editing at a cafes with wireless connection.

Recently, another Apple product has "saved the day" for me, yet again. I am given only 2 gigs of network server space to store my working files and folders. I had been meaning to buy an external hard disk for when that space ran out. Busyness, and procrastination, found me at work one day when my file synchronisation between my local hard drive and my network folder failed because I had run out of network space.

As the documents I was working on for that week were important and urgent, I couldn't afford to not have backups. They consisted of vendor contracts, agreements and materials for a regional training that will be taking place in 2 weeks. However, my files weren't backing up, and I was out of time on my projects to make a trip down to Sim Lim square or Funan Centre to get a hard disk.

I stared at my laptop for 10 seconds before a flash bulb went on in my head. I whipped out my beloved iPod and hooked it up my laptop. After downloading the latest version of iTunes 7 which made switching between the iPod hard disk and entertainment features as easy as breeze, I simply dragged all my files on my network folder to my iPod and deleted them from the network drive after I backed them all up onto CD Roms as well.

So now I have a working system all set up. Only immediate folders that are required for current month's projects are found on my network drive. Every few days, I transfer new / updated files on my network drive to my iPod hard disk. And I a copy of all my files / folders cut out on CD Roms for easy access in the office if I should ever forget to bring my iPod (which is almost never) and needed files from past projects.

My take is that for all the brands I support, Apple is the only one that serves both consumer entertainment and practical functionality wrapped in stylish, sexy packaging. Future Apple upgrade plans? The Mac keyboard for composing songs and monitor for viewing television programs. *starts punching on calculator*

Labels: , , , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Google
 
Web feather-starfish.blogspot.com