counter hit xanga

Just a clueless starfish in the ocean of life, filtering the environment for morsels of food.

Monday, September 04, 2006

Web Hosting Account Deleted By Vendor Without Prior Notification

Recently, due to my "busy-ness", I have neglected my mail, and as a result got into a couple of account suspensions. Yesterday, I attempted to reconnect my web hosting provider in the States, and was quite shocked to be told that they cancelled my account.

So what does cancelled mean? I asked with dread.

Does that mean that my files have been deleted?? Yes, he says.

I'm stunned. I probably have lapsed payments for 1 month, max 2 months only.

So what's your company's policy of how long they will let payment lapse before canceling an account?

Two months, he says. The billing & accounts department would have sent you reminders before they did anything.

But no, I did not receive any such notifications! In fact I even checked my mail again while waiting for his reply on livechat, but - NOTHING. By now, you can tell that I was starting to get upset.

Can I speak to the person in charge of this account? I ask.

No I can't, I'm sorry, he says. There's no one in the office but me. You will need to call billing first thing Monday morning.

I was flabbergasted. All the work I did in not just setting up my site, but also the extras I paid to redirect 2 of my other sites to the same account under different domain names. I have also installed various php programs for an ecommerce site with images I have personally designed, and made code changes to the program. In addition, there were weekends spent designing the directory structure and installation of other internet programs like a forum board, shopping cart, site meter, etc...

While I have 80% of my site backed up, the other 20% being easily updatable, the code changes to my php program were lost, as were some manuals and audio files I have invested quite a bit of work in on my ftp site.

Am I going to call them? I don't know. Seems hardly any point now that they've deleted my account. And there's no way I'm going to host with them again. Should I sue? It's going to cost me too much in term of time, cash and PEACE OF MIND.

Well, I'm just going to look at this as an opportunity to start on a fresh slate. Then I remember that my original blog that had my blog when my grandmother passed away on it. It was deployed from blogger to my site. Anybody have any idea if blogger would be able to help me recover that?

Sigining off,
Frustrated Webbie

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Google
 
Web feather-starfish.blogspot.com