counter hit xanga

Just a clueless starfish in the ocean of life, filtering the environment for morsels of food.

Tuesday, October 24, 2006

The Bed Where the Princess Will Never Feel the Pea

So I'm shifting into my house this Friday. Scheduled to that is. I've got my mover, and my contractor has been alerted (aka all reno works should be finished by then), etc. etc. But I'm only 2% packed. So what happened to my long weekend? Well, given the long hours I've been putting in at the office, my body protested against more work and refused to let me get up from bed the entire weekend. Exhaustion and fatigue are formidable enemies...

I did manage to make my way to IMM on Monday afternoon though, after accompanying my dad to change the new pair of optician's glasses he got. He was concerned that he would have trouble with the shop staff, and got me to go along with him. I prayed very hard that God would intervene, give us favour, and allow my dad to get a replacement pair of glasses as the new pair they prescribed were making him giddy, and the frame he got were too wide and kept falling off.

Given the recent spate of work, contractor, HDB, and vendor woes that have been plaguing me every week, I have had to follow closely on every project from work to personal. From chasing colleagues for information so that my copywriters could meet their deadlines, following up with internal colleagues who are providing services to my department but were deployed away for 2 weeks' training (such that I had to take over their tasks myself), to supervising my renovation due to an overstretched and somewhat irresponsible contractor, negotiating with HDB officers, conservation fees, front door replacement, upgrading policies conflicting with my renovation, worries about my dad's biopsy and health, etc etc etc, I was beyond being burnt out.

So I prayed. When the universe seems to be hurling at you the full brunt of Einstein's law of chaos, that is the only truly valuable thing you can do for yourself.

I told God I really needed a break, and that I needed to conserve my energy for the upcoming move. So I really wanted things to go smoothly. Praise God, He chalked up another answered prayer. While I believe in social & career networking, the best connection you can ever have is God. When we reached the shop, the senior optician took over my dad's case and believe it or not, he happened to know my dad's long time friend and previous optician. In fact, they were socially networked to the same group of cohorts. He changed the frame for my dad and replaced it with a Hugo Boss model. He also arranged for new lenses to be made for my dad, to be collected this Friday. All at no extra charge. It was a blessing of peace that I needed!

Since things were going so well, I thought I might venture into IMM to hunt for my bed / mattress. Based on a friend's recommendation, I looked out for the Sealy brand. No, not the "Silly" brand, the "Sealy" brand. I tried a few mattress shops and actually thought that the Americana brand was pretty ok. That was before I tried the Sealy mattress. They had the whole range from hard, semi-soft, to soft mattresses, based on your personal preference. The mattress was designed by chiropracters and are built to support your back and whatever sleeping posture you have. On the side, flat on your back, with your legs over your head (no, just kidding!), and so on.

When I tried the version where they used latex instead of 8 layer down for the "Semi-soft" range, I felt I was lying on a cloud in heaven... It wraps around your body posture, drives out all the aches, and had an unbelievably plush feeling. Then I tried the "soft" range. A little too soft for me, but if you had hidden a pea in it, I wouldn't have felt the difference...

With the promotion for "buy one mattress, get one bed for $125 and 2 fibre pillows for free", the real decision I have to make is if I were going for the "On Cloud Nine" or "Princess" bed.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Google
 
Web feather-starfish.blogspot.com