counter hit xanga

Just a clueless starfish in the ocean of life, filtering the environment for morsels of food.

Thursday, February 01, 2007

Luck is Relative

So it was one of the worst days I have ever had in the office. The primary trigger for the bad day was of course the discovery that Prima Donna would be mucking through my personal work performance profile, AND discussing it with a group of my bosses' peers which was utterly humiliating. My boss had done me the favour of handing my dirt to the enemy who has now been magically given the power to decide my fate in the company.

In addition, I had problems with a vendor with creative tantrums, and claimed that because I had been unable to meet the timeline which they had drawn for me, they were ending the project and pronounced it finished even though I had not approved on any of the copy at all. To make matters worse, procurement had mistakenly paid them the sum of the entire project so I was without negotiation power.

Throw in the email from our Supply Chain Director who literally jumped on me for a global audit project for which I was in charge of coordinating for AP. More of this in the next entry.

Then have disgruntled colleagues who start panicking that they have missed my deadline for them by over 2 months and start demanding updates from me on the status of the project, forgetting that I had already updated him 2 months ago and even given him the materials I needed him to work on. As he couldn't find them, it automatically became my fault that he didn't have it, and that he had missed the deadline for the project.

At this point in time, my job is like a hot potato that's roasting in my hand that I'm dying to drop off. I thought this was the worse run of bad luck that I have been having this week.

Then I meet up with a friend to resume our regular gym sessions. We went for dinner after our workout and she received a phone call on the way to the coffee shop. She was visibly upset after and told me that she had a friend who discovered that she had leukaemia immediately after she had given birth to her first born. This friend of hers had just lost her dad to cancer. For a while, the friend underwent chemotherapy and seemed to have become better and even got a bone marrow tranplant from her sister. However, the phone call was to inform her that her friend's body was rejecting the bone marrow, and that her white blood cells was down to an all time low count of 0.1. To make things worse, her friend's son had somehow contracted hand, foot and mouth disease. And now her husband was down with flu, and there was no one to take care of her boy.

Luck is so relative isn't it? I thought I was having the worst luck of all this week. But compared with what this woman is going through, I'm considered blessed. Of course, if I were to compare myself with Prima Donna, I might seem cursed. The conclusion of the day? Shit happens, and life is unfair. But everyone still has their course to run. Its not really how bad a life you have, but how you choose to live it that makes it worth your while, or not.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Google
 
Web feather-starfish.blogspot.com